How to file a public records request
We prefer requests be made in writing or e-mail so both parties have a record of the contact. If this is not possible, we will be pleased to discuss a request over the telephone and place it in writing for the requester. Requests and questions about public records should be directed to: Public Records Officer Office of Minority and Women’s Business Enterprises 1110 Capitol Way South, Suite 150 P.O. Box 41160 Olympia, WA 98501 E-mail: Publicrecords@omwbe.wa.gov or Phone: 360 664-9760
Information to include in a public records request
A request should contain the following information:
- Name, address and telephone number or e-mail address of the person requesting the record;
- Date on which the request is being made; and
- Description of the record(s) requested.
A form is available, but not required, for requesting public records. You may submit the completed form by e-mail or mail using the contact information above.
Responding to a public records request
Within five (5) business days of receiving the request, as required by law, OFM will respond in one of the following ways:
- Make the requested record(s) available;
- Make a portion of the records available in installments as they are assembled;
- Ask for clarification if the request is unclear;
- Acknowledge the request and provide a reasonable estimate of time needed to respond; or
- Deny the request.
Material exempt from public disclosure
The Public Records Act provides that certain types of records and information are exempt from public disclosure. Where exempt information can be deleted from a record (redacted), the record will be provided without the exempt information. Whenever OMWBE withholds all or part of a record, we will identify the applicable exemption on a log we produce and provide to the requester.