The Office of Minority and Women’s Business Enterprises (OMWBE) certifies small businesses owned and controlled by minority, women, and socially and economically disadvantaged persons.
State-certified firms are eligible to participate in contracting opportunities with state and local governments. Some private sector companies use OMWBE’s state-certified firms for their supplier diversity goals.
- MBE – Minority Business Enterprise
- WBE – Women’s Business Enterprise
- MWBE – Minority Women’s Business Enterprise
- CBE – Combination Business Enterprise (owned by 1 minority man and 1 non-minority woman)
- SEDBE – Socially and Economically Disadvantaged Business Enterprise (owned and controlled by a socially and economically disadvantaged male who is not an eligible minority)
For the state application and more information about qualifications visit State Certification Application.
State Certification—firms that already have federal certification or are applying for both state and federal certification at the same time
Use this short form for firms that:
- Already have DBE, SBE or ACDBE federal certification through OMWBE and want to apply for state certification.
- Are applying for in-state DBE, SBE or ACDBE federal certification AND state certification at the same time. Please fill out the federal application first (see below), then fill out the short state application.
For the state application short form visit State Certification Application – Short Form.
Federal Certification – In-state firms
Federally-certified firms are eligible to participate in transportation projects that are funded by the U.S. Department of Transportation (USDOT). This includes the Federal Highway Administration, Federal Aviation Administration, and Federal Transit Administration.
Visit the U.S. Department of Transportation for the history of the federal certification program.
Visit the links below for applications and instructions:
- DBE – Disadvantaged Business Enterprise. This certification counts towards USDOT gender and race-conscious goals.
- ACDBE – Airport Concessionaire Disadvantaged Business Enterprise. These firms count towards gender and race-conscious goals for the Federal Aviation Administration and the Ports.
- SBE – Small Business Enterprise. SBE-certified firms count towards USDOT small business (gender and race-neutral) goals.
Federal Program – Out-of-State Firms
Use this application if you want to apply for federal certification in Washington State and you are currently certified in another state as a Disadvantaged Business Enterprise or an Airport Concessionaire Disadvantaged Business Enterprise.