Business Services Director
The Business Services Director assists in the implementation of the mission and goals of EDC Team Jefferson by assuring that grant and program management, procedures, and communications required to meet the organizational objectives are achieved in a timely, professional, confidential, and thorough manner.
The Business Services representative is proactive in business outreach. He/she is a friendly and professional point of contact; facilitating the efficient operation of the organization by supporting and building relationships with staff, clients, partner organizations and community members. They have keen organizational skills to perform a variety of tasks.
Location: Jefferson County, WA. In-person at our Port Townsend office.
Status: Exempt. Approximately 40 hours per week, M-F.
Compensation: Salary, exempt, $70,000/year
Proposed Start Date: Position available immediately, starting no later than January 2023.
Instructions: Please send a brief cover letter and resume no later than December 15, position is open until filled. No phone calls, please.
EDC Team Jefferson’s mission is to foster a business-friendly environment that fuels economic sustainability, drives innovation, and inspires collaborative community leadership.
EDC Team Jefferson works to diversify and strengthen a resilient and regenerative economy in Jefferson County. The EDC is the Jefferson County’s primary source for economic development-related information and doorway to business support services. EDC Team Jefferson initiates and facilitates collaborative projects and strategic partnerships. We provide specialized confidential consulting and technical assistance to existing, start-up, and relocating businesses to build resilience throughout Jefferson County. The EDC links resources throughout the local economic ecosystem, develops channels for access to capital, and advocates for local business. The organization strives to elevate systemic thinking and innovation as well as collaborative efforts to cultivate the conditions for transformative change.
What differentiates us as an employer is our developmental focus. EDC Team Jefferson strives to be a vehicle through which employees can develop skills and capabilities in alignment with how each staff member seeks to grow and contribute.
Job Responsibilities-Business Services
- Engage in ongoing outreach, advising and resource support to the small business community.
- Organize businesses classes, meetups, and peer learning groups with community partners.
- Accurately track business assistance with weekly updates on the designated Dept of Commerce-CAI platform.
- Manage programs/projects designed to assist local small businesses
- Assist the director in designing future programs that fulfill strategic objectives.
- Assist the director in grant research and grant writing
- Assist the director in grant management regarding program activities to ensure allocation of staff time and meeting program deliverables
- Act as the primary contact for Jefferson LION (Local Investing Opportunity Network), receiving and responding to all incoming funding requests.
- Maintain positive working relationships with local stakeholders including the Chamber, Main Street, City, County, Port, PUD, PTMTA, and local libraries and nonprofits.
- Update research from economic data sources and seek trend reports/data useful to community stakeholders
- Prepare business services summaries for ADO reporting, EDC staff, stakeholders and Board.
- Collect success stories from the field, obtain signed media releases from business clients, prepare blog drafts and SM posts
- Prepare, distribute and record the results of annual small business surveys, documenting needs and tracking changes over time.
- Maintain the high number of trusting, confident, and open relationships exist between EDC
- Assist in preparation and dissemination of EDC press releases, reports, social media updates, and general correspondence.
- Provide proactive support for key EDC partners including SBDC (Small Business Development Center), The Center for Inclusive Entrepreneurship (CIE) and Jefferson Community Lean Resource.
- Participate in EDC financial management regarding separation of duties and compliance
- Prepare checks, manage invoices, and coordinate general banking activities with Executive Director or Board President.
- Basic bookkeeping and coordination of activities with external Bookkeeper and other staff, including financial report preparation.
- Manage reporting system. Prepare monthly, quarterly, and annual reports for all sponsoring public entities (State, County, Port of Port Townsend, City of Port Townsend, Jefferson County PUD, etc.), with support from EDC staff.
- Provide grant and program reports quarterly
Manage the publication of a weekly newsletter and monthly blog, collecting content from staff, volunteers and Board as needed.
- Promote the organization, utilizing various platforms including social media.
- Maintain website to remain current, relevant, and functional.
- Other duties as assigned and in support of EDC Team Jefferson’s mission.
Duties may change as business needs dictate and staffing evolves. The above list is not intended to be an exhaustive list of all duties, skills and responsibilities.
Skills and Qualifications
A passion for helping entrepreneurs to build resilience in Jefferson County is vital. The ideal candidate will possess the following:
- Jefferson County, WA residency - required.
- Demonstrated local economic development, community and business relationships.
- Previous business advising experience is preferred.
- Confidence with computer use including MS Office and Google Workspace applications, Constant Contact, Quickbooks, and CRMs is preferred.
- Program/workshop development experience is preferred.
- Working knowledge of grant and program management/administration is preferred.
- Previous experience with grant research and grant writing is preferred.
- Working knowledge of social media content creation is a plus
- Survey design and implementation is preferred
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Vibrant interpersonal and customer service skills
- Dedication to collaborative thinking and creativity.
- Demonstrated ability to take initiative and utilize organizational skills.
- Physical requirements include prolonged periods sitting at a desk and working on a computer as well meeting with business clients in the field.
- A Bachelor’s degree in business or related field is preferred as well as business ownership experience. Alternately, 5-years experience with business ownership, and experience coaching and mentoring businesses may substitute for the 4-year degree.
Schedule and Benefits
This position is full-time 100% FTE, exempt, with salary of $70,000/year, approximately 40 hours per week, Monday through Friday. Occasional morning, early evening, and weekend availability may be required.
EDC Team Jefferson employees receive ongoing support from the Board of Directors including commitment to professional development, to your self-care, and a work environment that is inspiring rather than depleting. Employee Medical Insurance will be provided with 100% employer-paid premiums.
- Cover letter
- Three references
EDC Team Jefferson Equal Employment Opportunity Policy
EDC Team Jefferson provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws.
This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation, and training.